March 17 and March 31
Proverbs 28:9 “If anyone turns a deaf ear the law, even his prayers are detestable.”
Proverbs 28:9 (God’s Word Translation) “Surely the prayer of someone who refuses to listen to [God's] teachings is disgusting.”
Proverbs 28:9 (NIV) “If anyone turns a deaf ear to my instruction, even their prayers are detestable.
Prayer is talking to God and listening to God.If heaven seems silent, please consider the list of hindrances mentioned in the Bible. Evaluate your life,
make the changes necessary, and align your life with God’s Word.
For our prayers to be effective, we must know what God’s word says. Let’s look in the Bible and see what could be hindering our prayers.
- Unconfessed sin. Psalm 66:18 and Isaiah 59:1-2
- Is there any sin in your life that may be preventing God from hearing your prayers?
- What should you do if there is sin in your life that is preventing your relationship with God?
- Lack of Faith.James 1:5-8
- Do you have difficulty believing God’s Word?Why?
- Keys to overcoming doubt and unbelief:
- The Word of God – Romans 10:17
- Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus – Hebrews 12:2
- Disobedience. I John 3: 21 – 23
- Is there an area in your life you are knowingly disobeying God?
- Unforgiveness. Mark 11:25
- Is there any one you are having difficulty forgiving?
- Let go of bitterness, unforgiveness, offense and grudges.
- Wrong Motives. James 4:3
- What would be the reason you would want God to answer your prayer?
- Idols in our lives.Ezekiel 14:3
- Do you have anything in your life that gets more attention than the time you spend with God and reading his Word?
- What are some of your hobbies and habits that could interfere with your relationship with God?
- Should your relationship with God consist of 2 hours on a Sunday?
- Not Giving. Proverbs 21:13
- Ignoring people in our lives who have legitimate needs can cause God to ignore us when we cry out to Him.
- No one likes to be taken advantage of when it come to giving to others. How do you navigate through giving to others?
- Family Dissension/Conflict. I Peter 3:7
- Husbands have a responsibility to be considerate and respectful to their wife.Is therean area you may need to clean up in your relationship
with your spouse?
- Praying out of God’s Will. I John 5:14 -15
- How do I know God’s will?Romans 12:1 -2
- Doing evil.I Peter 3:12
- Unbelief is sinful and evil. Hebrews 3:12
- Pride.God opposes the proud. I Peter 5:5
- Don’t do the things that God hates.Proverbs 6: 16 – 19
- Don’t attack the church or those who serve the church or God’s’ appointed leaders. I Samuel 26:5 – 11 and Psalm 105:15
- What does the Bible say about understanding God and His ways?Read Psalms 111:10 and Psalms 112:1
- To fear God means to revere Him.It means to stand in awe of Him. It means we are apprehensive to disobey Him.This fear is not based
on dread or terror.The fear of the Lord springs forth out of love. When we respect God’s power and authority in our lives and over
pour lives – He will hear our prayers.
After reviewing the above list of hindrances to prayer, examine your life.What do you need to do today so your relationship with God is strengthened and
your prayers will not be hindered?
Keys to Answered Prayer:
- Be Persistent.Luke 11: 5 – 10, Luke 18: 1 – 8, and Galatians 6:9
- God may not answer your prayers right away. Don’t give up.Don’t quit. Don’t lose faith.
- Open your heart and be personal.Psalm 37:4
- Strengthen your relationship with Jesus. John 15:7
- The word “abide” or “remain” means “continue, to stay, endure, live.”
- Have faith. Hebrews 11:6
- Don’t doubt God’s word. James 1: 6 – 7
- Read this powerful story recorded in I Kings 18:20 – 39 where Elijah confronts the false prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel.
- Was there any doubt in Elijah’s mind that God would perform a miraculous feat?
- Did Elijah get the results he prayed for?
- Turn away from evil. I Peter 3:12
- God’s promise – James 5:16
- Does sin cut you off form God? Isaiah 59: 1 -2
- What is “doing evil,” and what is sin?
- Speak directly to your situation. Mark 11:23
- Your tongue is very powerful.Proverbs 18:21
- Seek to please the Lord. I John 3:22
- Knowing the heart of God will ensure you are praying in His will. You can know God’s will by studying His Word.
Close with Philippians 4:6 – 7
Everyone take a moment and share a prayer need.
Pray for each other.
Commit to praying for each other every day until your group meets again.
In church next Sunday, write your prayer request on a piece of paper and place it on the prayer wall.