February 24 – March 10, 2019
Over the last three weeks, Pastor Alan has shared a message on “Hearing God’s Voice.” Prayer is the cornerstone, a foundational principle, in our walk with God.Spending time with God and hearing His voice is at the heart of our relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth.When a person prays, he/she is communicating with the purpose of speaking “with” God and not just “to” God. “One-way” communication or “talking” is not fully communicating with someone.In order to have true communication both parties must be able to talk and to listen.Pastor Alan said that prayer is “talking and listening to God.” When we pray, we make our requests, our questions, our pains, our heart-felt desires known to God.Pastor Alan has been encouraging the church to take time to hear what God is saying in response to our time spent with Him.
The following outline is the brief summary of the last three weeks messages.You may not be able to get through all of this Discover Faith Lesson.No worries.Break it up into several sections, taking your time to absorb what God may be showing you and your group in your time together.
Read Mark 15:38 and then read Hebrew 10:19 – 20.
In Hebrews 10:19 – 20, “confidence” means…
-bedrock belief, solid foundation of belief, bold assurance.In this verse it means “a bold (yet humble) freedom authorized access into ‘the Most Holy Place’ of God’s presence because of the blood of Jesus.” In other words, we can be confident that we have access to God’s presence.
What did the curtain symbolize in Hebrew’s 10:20? What is the significance of this?
Now that the barrier (curtain – Christ’s Body) has been torn, what does this mean for you?
Read the following scriptures aloud and discuss God’s promises to speak to us, to lead us, to guide us.
Psalm 37:23 and 24- Who orders our steps?What is the condition for our steps to be ordered?
Jeremiah 29: 12 – 13
Proverbs 16:3 - How can our plans be established and succeed?
Proverbs 3:5 - 6
Review the methods God speaks to us as revealed through scripture. Read the following scripturesout loud in your group.
- 1.God speaks through the Word of God.II Timothy 3:16
- 2.God speaks through the prophetic (Word of knowledge, word of wisdom, see the gifts of the Spirit).I Thessalonians 5:19 - 21
- 3.God speaks through Godly counsel. Proverbs 11:14
- 4.God speaks through confirmation. Matthew 18:16
- 5.God speaks through the peace that comes from Him. Colossians 3:15
- 6.God guides us and speaks to us through the Holy Spirit. John 14:17 and 26, 15:26 and 16:13 -14
- a.Read I Corinthians 2:12 -17.What does the Holy Spirit reveal to the believer?
- b.Take notice of the Holy Spirit guiding and speaking in the following verses.Read them aloud and write down what God is showing you through these verses.
- i.Matthew 4:1
- ii.Acts 8:29
- iii.Acts 8:39 – 40.Notice where the Holy Spirit took Philip. How did this happen?
- iv.Acts 13:2
- v.Acts 15:28
- vi.Acts 16:6
- vii.Acts 20:23.Who warned Paul?
- viii.Read Galatians 5:16, 18, 25.Underline the phrases that indicate the Holy Spirit guiding the believer.
- 7.God speaks and guides us through circumstances.
- a.Read Acts 16: 6-10.How do you think the Holy Spirit prevented Paul and his companions from traveling to the province of Asia?
- b.Discuss this statement that Pastor Alan made during the message:
- i.“God closes doors to protect us. God closes doors to redirect us.God closes doors to keep us from less that His best.”
- c.Discuss “open doors” and “closed doors.”
How can we prepare to hear God speak to us? Read the following points and answer the questions in your group.
- 1.Designate time to spend praying and reading God’s Word, daily.
- a.How can you make this happen?
- b.If you do this, what does this look like?Where?Do you have a Bible Reading Plan? Do you journal, recording what God may be showing you?
- c.Read Mark 1:21 – 38.Notice Jesus’ busy day.What did he do throughout the day?What did he do early in the morning?
- 2.Rise above the distractions. Read Hebrews 12:2 in the Amplified version of the Bible.
- a.What are some distractions that can keep you from hearing God’s voice?
- b.How can we eliminate distractions?
- 3.Clean up your personal life.
- a.Are you engaged in activity that God would not approve?
- b.How can you clean up areas in your life that need attention?
- c.Is there an area that needs immediate attention?Can you share with the group and ask them to pray for you?You are in a safe place.People care about you and want you to be victorious.
- 4.Develop a love relationship with Jesus.Find the “greatest commandment” in the New Testament and read it out loud.
- a.Is there anything in your life that is preventing your from loving God?
Take a moment to discuss the following:
After reading through the scriptures above, do you believe that God wants to speak to you? Explain.
Share a time you felt God was guiding you or speaking to you.
How important is it to be in a church that desires to hear God’s voice and seeks His guidance and direction?
If God is guiding you, speaking to you, leading you, do you record what God may be saying?
End your time in prayer.Ask God to reveal more of Himself to you.Ask God to speak to you concerning His purpose and plans for your life.
For further personal study…Purchase the workbook “Experiencing God” by Henry Blackaby.Take time to complete this powerful resource that will lead you into a deeper more meaningful life relationship with Jesus.